Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ray Vincente at DC Fashion Week

In preparation for the Menswear Collection Show at DC Fashion Week this Saturday, I have had the privilege of interview Ray Brown of Ray Vincente.

Although Ray has been designing as a freelance designer for public and private individuals since 1983, he launched his Euro-urban menswear label, Ray Vincente Ecletic, in 2009.

An eclectic mix of Eastern, European, African, and American urban cultures, Ray Vincente Ecletic will soon be on the runways of DC!

It is a pleasure to meet you Ray! Tell me something about where you are from…
I was born and raised in the inner city of Trenton, NJ, the youngest of 5 siblings. Educated in the Trenton Public School system, brought up in the church and surrounded by talented parents and siblings in the areas of literature, art, and music—all had a part in shaping who I am today. I have a degree in Telecommunications and Fashion Merchandising. Currently I still am a resident of Trenton, NJ.

What is it like to live there now?
It is a great spot located between major centers of business and fashion, Philadelphia, DC, and NYC. Family is a major reason why I have remained as long as I have because family is very important to me.

When did you know you wanted to be a designer?
From what I’m told, I had the tendency to be a designer from a young age. I always wanted clothing to be ‘just so’ and had a habit of always doing something to my outfit that would make it different from the norm. As a matter of fact I’m told that the only time I ever had a temper tantrum was when I was not allowed to wear socks that matched my shirt!

Were there any specific factors that influenced your decision?
Wanting to express my own personality in the way I dress was a major influence. I always walked ‘a bit left of center’ and have always been an individualist. Other factors were the 3 women in my life: my two sisters and my mother. Each of them have a strong style of their own, but each is different; 1 eclectic and edgy, 1 European, and 1 Americana.

Where do you draw your inspiration?
I can be inspired by almost anything, people, nature, films, etc. I do have an affinity for eastern culture, due to the unique meanings behind how things are placed or ‘wrapped’ together into the ensemble. Also, I enjoy the grandeur of eastern royalty.

Do you hold to a particular philosophy that is clearly seen in your collections?
Style that is individual, comfortable, masculine, and wearable is always the goal of my collection.

How would you sum up the Ray Vincente look?
Eclectic! I am all about pulling individual pieces from various related or unrelated sources and incorporating them into a stylish ensemble that showcases the man who wears it in and understated, confident way.

Tell me about the fashion scene in your city?
Pretty general in nature. Not really a look and feel specific to the area.

How do you and your label play a role in that scene?
The role I want the label to play is to establish a look that is unique to this capital city of New Jersey.

How do you feel your city compares to other cities?
I’ve been fortunate enough to have visited Paris, Lucerne Switzerland, Rome, Venice, and Florence and have been to every major city within the US. They all have one thing in common: a look that is theirs! The city of Trenton does not have that yet, but my hope is that Ray Vincente will help it get one!

What is your impression of men’s fashion in DC?
Years ago, it seemed to be all about ‘strictly business’, but in recent years there has been a development of personal style, which is encouraging. True fashion compliments your everyday life and this where I believe Ray Vincente is such an asset to your wardrobe. It’s not about dressing ‘head to toe’ in Ray Vincente. That would make you a ‘clone’. It’s about incorporating pieces of Ray Vincente into your existing wardrobe and styling it to fit YOU.

How long have you been showing at the DC Fashion Week?
2010 will be my 3rd year

What is your impression of the DC Fashion Week?
I think Ean Williams and his organization are to be commended for their major strides within the fashion community. DC Fashion Week is more and more establishing itself as unique and influential in the fashion arena, and I hope it continues to build, not into a replica of NY Fashion Week but into it’s own unique event offering a different piece of the fashion puzzle.

For more reading on Ray, refer to The Multi-Cultural, Eclectic Ray of Ray Vincente.



Photos & slideshow Copyright Ray Vincente.