Saturday, March 13, 2010

Inside the Locker Room with TIMOTEO's Sexy Model—Roy Fares

When I reviewed the photo shoot of TIMOTEO´s latest campaign, I requested an interview with either model, and Roy Fares immediately responded with eagerness.

In the course of the interview, I learned that Roy is not just a sexy model with a ripped body but also a humble young man who leads a creative life as a pastry chef.

Where are you from, Roy, and do you live there now?
I was born in Lebanon, in 1984 and moved to Stockholm, Sweden, when I was 6 years old; I have been leaving here now for 19 years.

Besides modeling, what else do you do?
I´m a pastry chef, so I went for years to a pastry school in Stockholm. I was the Swedish champion for young bakers in 2005. I [still] live in Stockholm where I´m running my own business making cakes for weddings and other big parties.

What led you to focus on your body?
As you understand already, I’m not the guy who people think is a pastry chef. I love to work out and keep up my body and take care of the way I look, which makes me feel good.

Do you emphasize one profession over the other?
Right now I’m trying to work hard on [both] my business and body and hope that I’ll get more fun work. Would love to make a shoot for Calvin Klein, D&G, Dsquared and Levi’s Jeans, but these are only designers I dream about.

So, are your dreams to become a supermodel?
No, modeling is just something I do because I enjoy it now and it´s something that keeps me challenging myself. As you know, one day you get old to and then you need to have something else to stand on. So I want to do wedding planning!

Tell me more about this challenge and how you got started...
When I was in LA I had a goal, and that was to challenge myself to get in my best shape, and the job made me work hard for it. It´s much easier when you have a goal.

When did you actually start modeling?
I began to model a little a few years ago, but it wasn’t until now that I began to a few big shoots, so I guess I started this year.

Did you realize on your own that you could be a model?
Well, I don´t know if I walk around and think I’m good looking myself, but I guess there must be something in my look. Everyone is beautiful in their own way.

What do you like most about modeling?
To meet people around the world.

And what do you like the least?
Always being judged after the way you look.

Is the life of a model all glamor?
That´s what many people think it is. But people, I can tell you, it´s not that glamorous all the time. You got to work hard to get good shoots, and you got to be on your game all the time. You can´t be lazy and just do it sometimes if you want to survive as a model.

What is the biggest difficulty for male models in your opinion?
To be a male model and a supermodel is really hard: the market isn´t as big for male models as for girls. You really have to have that special look or extra thing if you want to have modeling as a job or, like me, you can do it a little here and there as something fun.

What were your impressions of the Timoteo shoot?
Timoteo is a very nice guy, both feet on the earth. We had super fun on the shoot. He is a great designer and I’m sure he will be a very successful designer.

Thank you, Roy, and the best of success to you in both your modeling career and as a pastry chef!



Top left and right photos Copyright Timoteo.